Banks, Banks Fire District, Fire

Home near Banks damaged by fire Sunday morning

Photo from the scene provided by Banks Fire District 13

BANKS – Emergency personnel responded to a residential fire at a home just outside of Banks city limits this morning. No one was injured during the fire, which caused moderate to heavy damage to portions of the home.

According to Banks Fire District 13 spokesperson Mitch Ward, an initial call for a chimney fire came in at 8:45 a.m. The district sent a single engine—standard for a chimney fire— to a home on Washington Avenue near Aerts Road.

Upon arrival, crews saw a column of black smoke and requested additional resources—A “full box” in technical terms—from neighboring agencies, including an engine from Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue’s North Plains station and an engine from Forest Grove Fire & Rescue.

Metro West Ambulance responded to provide care in case of injuries to occupants or firefighters, though none were reported at the time of publishing.

According to the occupants, who rent the home, a wood stove had been burning all night and began to smoke heavily when additional wood was put on the fire, filling the home with smoke.

The two adults and two children who live at the home evacuated the house and called 911. No pets were hurt during the fire.

The back side of the home suffered moderate to heavy damage on two stories around the chimney area, according to Ward.

The district is assessing the scene.

Chas Hundley is the editor of the Banks Post and sister news publications the Gales Creek Journal and the Salmonberry Magazine. He grew up in Gales Creek and has a cat.

Sign up for Banks area news in your inbox ↓

The groceries your family needs!